4 Jan 13 - Model equipment changed (considerably).
|N° of launches / Time||15||1 hour 31 mins||¬ Flight times & numbers include all versions|
|Original Configuration||Increased Power Configuration||Current Configuration|
|Wingspan||24.0 in||0.61 m|
|Wing Area||220 in²||14.2 dm²|
|Flying Weight||6.0 oz.||169 g||7.3 oz.||206g||5.9 oz. or 6.66 oz.||168 or 189g|
|Wing Loading||3.92 oz/ft²||11.9 g/dm²||4.75 oz/ft²||14.5 g/dm²||3.87 or 4.36 oz/ft²||11.8 or 13.3 g/dm²|
|Wing Cube Loading||3.2 - Glider||3.8 - Glider||3.1 or 3.5 - Glider|
|Motor||Faulhaber DC1717||Torcman TM200-05-18 brushless motor||Hexatronic 2204-14T 1450rpm/V 19g|
|Gearbox||Faulhaber 11.8:1||Modelair-Tech GB-50 ratio 2.14:1||None|
|Propeller||WES Technik 26cm x 12cm (10¼" x 4¾")||Graupner 8" x 4" SlimProp||APC 8" x 3.8" SF|
|Batteries||3 Tadiran LiMnO2 780mAh (nominal 9v)||2S E-Tec 1200mAh 10C LiPo||2S Turnigy LiPo Nano-Tech 25-40C 460mAh or 30-40C 800mAh|
|Speed Controller||JMP HF9 - 5 to 8 cells - 1.5A/3A - BEC - high frequency (133kHz)||Hacker Master 18-3P - 18A - 6 to 10 cells - BEC & Brake||Turnigy Plush 10A - 2 to 4 LiPo - 2A BEC|
|Receiver||Hitec Feather - 4ch - PPM - 35 MHz modified to JST connectors||GWS GWR-4P/H - 4ch - PPM - 35 MHz||Spectrum compatible - 6ch DSM2 - 2.4GHz|
|Servos||Flaperons & Tailerons - 2 x Hitec HS-50||Flaperons - 2 x Hitec HS-50||Flaperons - 2 x Turnigy 1370A Servo 3.7g|
|Elevator - JP Naro||V Tail - 2 x Hobby King 3.7g|
|Static motor parameters||3 LiMnO2 gives 2500 RPM @ 0.9A and 8.5V providing 20W/lb||Tests not recorded||
Turnigy Nano-Tech 25-40C 460mAh LiPo gives 6180 RPM @ 6.3A and 6.82V (43W)
2S Turnigy 30-40C 800mAh LiPo gives 6360 RPM @ 6.6A and 6.98V (46W) providing 110W/lb
|Flight performance||Flies very nicely and easy to control in a smallish hall. Needs more power to allow aerobatics.||Flies superbly, even in strong winds (~ 15 mph). Loops can be large and any aerobatic manoeuvre that can be performed that does not require a rudder. A little fast for small hall flying indoors||Not yet flown in this configuration|
4 Jan 13 - I decided it was time to give the Little Tiny a makeover and update the old equipment; in fact none of the previous equipment remains on the model. The primary reason for this is that it wasn't great outdoors in the original configuration (not enough power) and it was a little heavy for small hall indoor flying following my previous change to increase power. My aim was to reduce the weight back to it's original weight but to increase the power considerably with a small brushless motor and 2S LiPo. I had a 19g Hexatronic 2204-14T sitting spare and it seemed an obvious choice. Looking at the motor spec's an 8" propeller should be OK but I could fit a 7" if the current was too high. The figures for the 8" propeller were fine so I stuck with that. For indoor flying I'll probably use a 2S Turnigy Nano-Tech 25-40C 460mAh LiPo but may also use a 2S Turnigy 30-40C 800mAh LiPo instead for longer flying times; I'll see how it handles with the small pack and play it by ear.
6 Jul 04 - I changed the Hacker motor to a Torcman TM200-05 motor, which is tiny (diameter 23mm, length 19.5mm, weight 21g). To reduce the weight I used a 2 cell (in series) pack of E-Tec Lithium Polymer cells of 1200mAh rating. The test flight was completed today in a string wind for this little model (~ 15mph). It handled the wind well despite 2 landings being vertical, although perfectly 3 point. I need to fly it in better conditions to really determine the performance and handling.
30 Nov 02 - I decided to fit a Hacker brushless motor to this model so it would fly better outdoors. I also decided that an independent elevator control would be beneficial, so I shoe-horned a JP Naro servo into the original servo mount. The only work now outstanding is to decide what cells I want to use and how to mount them. To keep the model within a sensible loading, I want to aim to restrict the weight to a maximum of around 12 oz. (340g). The model, after conversion, without battery mount and battery weighs slightly under 8 oz. (225g), giving a fair bit of scope for battery selection. I have decided that the 7 cell packs of 500AR will be acceptable despite raising the weight to 13 oz. (370g). We'll see what the model ends up as when it is finished.
31 Mar 01 - Managed to get the first flights in last night. It flew well, but was underpowered making aerobatics impossible. I was lent a Braun 26cm x 16cm propeller to try, which did improve the performance but only marginally. I need to consider options to rectify this. Both wheels were damaged after a minor mid-air collision and had to be removed. Despite this, the model would still take off, land and taxi quite acceptably just using the axles.
26 Mar 01 - I had the 1st chance to fly about 10 days ago, but the model was suffering from glitching due to cross-channel interference. To eliminate this, I have changed the receiver to a Hitec Feather fitted with FMS connectors. The modification was made to save me changing to change over the 2 servos and ESC for standard connectors. Hopefully I can get to fly on Friday and really check out the Tiny.
5 Jan 01 - I don't why I forgot to add this aircraft to the site earlier, but I've just finished it. It is intended as an indoor / front yard flier and is very lightly constructed. Because of using the 3 cell pack of 780mAh Tadiran LiMnO2 (55g 1.94oz.) the all-up-weight is higher than normal. The colouring on the trailing & leading edges and spars was done with big felt tip markers & is very effective. The model was then covered using clear Mylar and thinned cellulose dope on the sheet stabilisers. All I want now is a calm day or a hall to fly in.
[ BACK ] [ INDEX ]