7 Dec 13 - Update on new motors.
|N° of launches / Time||2||0 hrs 11 mins|
|Wingspan||62 in.||1570 mm|
|Wing Area||740 in²||47.7 dm²|
|4S with 2x Turnigy SK4250-650||5S with 2x MVVS 8.0/680|
|Flying Weight||10 lb. 2¼ oz.||4.60 kg||10 lb 13½ oz.||4.92 kg|
|Wing Loading||31.6 oz/ft²||96.4 g/dm²||33.8 oz/ft²||103.1 g/dm²|
|Wing Cube Loading||13.9 - Between Scale & Racer||14.9 - Between Scale & Racer|
|Motors||2 x Turnigy SK4250-650 brushless||2 x MVVS 8.0/680|
|Propellers||Counter-rotating APC 12x8-E and APC 12x8-EP||Counter-rotating APC 11x8-E and APC 11x8-EP|
|Speed Controller||2 x HobbyWing Platinum 60A Pro - 60A cont., 90A burst, 2-6S LiPo, Switch Mode BEC 5.25V or 6V @ 3A||2 x HobbyWing Platinum 60A Pro - 60A cont., 90A burst, 2-6S LiPo, Switch Mode BEC 5.25V or 6V @ 3A|
|Motor Batteries||2 x 4S Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPo 3300 cells||2 x 5S LiPo, usually Turnigy Nano-Tech 3850 mAh|
|Receiver||JR RD921 - 9ch DSM2 - 2.4GHz - Internal and remote receivers - dual power input||JR RD921 - 9ch DSM2 - 2.4GHz - Internal and remote receivers - dual power input|
|Servos||Ailerons||2 x Hitec HS-81MG||2 x Hitec HS-81MG|
|Elevator||Hitec HS-300BB||Hitec HS-300BB|
|Rudder||Hitec HS-300||Hitec HS-300|
|Flaps||JR NES-517||JR NES-517|
|Nosewheel||Hitec HS-101MG||Hitec HS-101MG|
|Undercarriage||Ripmax Diamond 200||Electric servoless|
|Static motor parameters||4S 3300mAh Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPo cells gave unknown RPM @ 15.5V with current draw of 28.9A (449W) per motor, which equates to 88W/lb.||5S 3850mAh Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPo cells give 10250 RPM @ 18.24V with current draw of 32.24A (595W) per motor, which equates to 110W/lb.|
|Flight performance||Takes off amazingly quickly due to the large 'blown' area and climbs out really well. Rolls are extremely axial and loops can be huge. The top end speed is a little lower than I'd like so maybe I'll try it on 5S||Takes off just as quickly and climbs out really well, just short of maintaining a vertical climb. Rolls are extremely axial and loops can be huge. The top end speed is certainly better now; I must try it with the speed logger fitted.|
7 Dec 13 - I fitted the new motor a while ago and have now had a few flights; today with reduced diameter propellers to give a bit more ground clearance. It flies as well as ever and the servoless electric retracts are much nicer in operation than the spring-air previously fitted.
7 Jul 13 - Had a motor fail today, with one winding burnt out and the other 2 sucked into the rotor/stator gap. I was able to kill the throttle and land dead-stick but it's time for new (uprated) motors.
3 Jul 13 - Electric retracts fitted and main undercarriage leg doors fitted
23 Jun 13 - I've been having more problems with the spring-air retracts not extending and locking down on occasions. I that fore decided that electric retracts are to be fitted instead. I managed to find a set of retracts with the same mounting pattern, which will make fitting them simpler. I've also got a set of oleo legs that are stiffer than the original wire legs; hopefully they'll cope on the roughish grass surfaces of our runways. The nose leg is already swapped over but I need to shorten the oleo legs for the main gear; shouldn't take long once I've unburied the lathe. A little reinforcing of the battery trays is also required as one became loose whilst removing a battery.
18 May 13 - Finally around to completing the model and undertaking the maiden flight; I'm really impressed with the performance. There are still a couple of niggles to work out, e.g. sticky retracts, before it's finally sorted and handling properly assessed. The top end speed is a little lower than I'd like so maybe I'll try it on 5S; I would try coarser pitched propellers but finding pusher variants is very tricky.
[ BACK ] [ INDEX ]